Quiche is my favorite thing to get creative with next to pizza. I often make it on Sundays and put all the vegetables that are about to go bad in my fridge into it. When I think about flavors that go together well I feel like you can't go wrong with broccoli and cheddar. Add in some sweet onions that have been caramelized in pancetta and you have a winning bite. I give you this lovely broccoli cheddar quiche with pancetta that was my latest Sunday cooking adventure.
- 1 premade pie crust (unless you're adventurous enough to make it on your own!)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half & half
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2 oz diced pancetta, uncooked
- 1-1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 medium vidalia or yellow onion, sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a non-stick skillet pan saute pancetta over medium heat for 5-8 minutes. You want there to be a little bit of the pancetta fat in liquid form so the onions have something to caramelize in.
- Add the onions and lower the heat to low-medium. This will prevent the onions from burning and prevent the pancetta from getting too crispy too fast. Saute for about 20 minutes - untill the onions are nice and golden brown, stirring every few minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, place the pie crust into a pie plate and pre-bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper.
- Take the pie crust out of the oven and add all the elements in the following order: broccoli, pancetta/onion mixture and cheese (see video below). Pour egg mixture over the top, ensuring that it funnels down into the cheese and broccoli.
- Reduce oven heat to 375F and place quiche in to bake for 35-45 minutes. Test with a tooth pick to see if it's ready (if its done there will be no liquid on the tooth pick).
- Let stand for 10 minutes prior to serving.